Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Stitch in Time..

Ever since I was a little girl I loved to tinker with things, do little crafts, draw etc. As I got older I always seemed to have some sort of project on the go, always had to be doing something with my hands.
When Jaclyn was 2 years old I started to work on a quilt for her. I did an embroidered stitch my mom taught me called the chain stitch around the Precious Moments kidlings and picked out this pretty periwinkle cloth for the background. A lady I worked with told her mom about what I was doing and she offered to help me put it together....I think she was just impressed that a 20 year old put that much effort into making something! LOL
I tucked it away safe and sound until Jac got her big girl bed and then I proudly displayed it. Each night Jac and I would gently fold it to the bottom of her bed so it would always stay nice and tidy. My poor girl was a bed wetter so finally in fear that it would be soiled one day, I decided to take it off and put it away again. When she finally did stopped wetting I put it back on once again. When she became a teenager I knew it wouldn't be safe so I packed it away yet one more time.
You know I took such good care of that quilt in folding it down every night that I never once washed it!!! I was actually scared to death that since "I" made it, it might fall to pieces!
We moved a few times after that and you know how things get carted from here to there when you have things packed away. Well....this winter Shane and I did a major cleaning out of the basement. I went threw totes purging left and right. Things I hadn't used in forever finally got sorted through. I gave away alot of stuff, all the time having this quilt in the back of my mind. I couldn't find it anywhere. There I was in front of the very last tote. My heart jumped when I thought I must have lost it forever. I said a prayer and walked over to the tote and took off the cover.....I didn't see it.....I moved a couple of things and lifted a couple more things and my heart sunk.....I put the tote cover back on but then thought just a sec what was that fabric at the bottom.....YESSSSS IT WAS IT!!!!!! I jumped up and down with excitement and ran up stairs to spread it out on the floor to have a look...there was all but one tiny little soiled spot on it. I flipped it to the other side and looked at the stitching and I thought I can't believe I was afraid to wash this thing it was sewn together tight as anything, I didn't hesitate a second from popping it into the wash on a gentle cycle. It came out bright and vibrant! I'm so pleased!
Jac doesn't know I have it so I've once again tucked it away so I can give it to her for Miss K when she gets her very own big girl bed, but not before taking some pics to show all of you. Here it is, isn't it darling!








12 comments:

Polar Bear said...

What a treasure!!!

The quilt is absolutely beautiful! Miss K will love it!!!

Kim said...

BEAUTIFUL..
And such a wonderful memory to pass on to Miss K...
She will treasure it forever..
Hugs..

Shionge said...

Oh Wow - it is so precious Debz and so memorable, thanks for sharing your excitment because I am so excited too :D

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

What a gorgeous thing to find again... I was so excited when I got to the end to find you had found the quilt...

a Tonggu Momma said...

Now THAT is a special memory that sisters can share!

Unknown said...

That is Beautiful.

Lesa said...

The quilt is gorgeous!!!!!!!!

I use to quilt many a year ago. Mike bought me a really nice maple quilting frame that had a rolling mechanism, so you could do a couple of rows and then roll it and do a couple more.

I sold it before we moved. Not knowing if I would have the space for it here. It is mainly the time I don't have now.

I inherited all of my Grandmothers quilting fabric and pieces. She had started a butterfly quilt and just had the butterflies cut out. I completed her dream. I'll have to take photos of it one day. It is packed away right now, but once I get it out I'll share with you.

What a beautiful quilt for J and K to inherit from you.

Rhonda said...

Just wanted to tell you that I just discovered your blog and I love it...especially the title!

Have a great Valentines Weekend!

Blessings,
Rhonda

Rhonda said...

Hi again,

Yes, our wait was forever. We started compiling our dossier in Sept. 05. Were DTC 12/23/05. LID 01/13/06. Referral arrived on June 9th, 2008. (30 months wait). Traveled on July 17, 2008 and got her at 12 1/2 months of age.

Hang in there! It'll happen in God's timing and when you get YOUR child, you will be in awe of how perfect she (or he) is for you. Our "Li Ming" seems like she must have the same DNA....She is exactly like us and a perfect fit for our family. We worship the air she breathes, as you can probably tell from my blog....tee hee.....

Anyway, thanks for visiting again.

~Rhonda

Wendy said...

I am so glade it washed up so nicely for you... It's something she will cherish when she's older. You did a great job by the way..

Have an amazing day
Wendy

Wendy said...

How did you add the reactions part to your comment box???

Wendy

A Mom- In-W8ing said...

I LOVE Precious Moments!! This quilt is fantastic!

Kudos to you for being so crafty at 20! I know Miss K will love every inch of this beautiful handmade quilt.

Smiles! :o)
Nikki